Glen Spey Distillery
Morayshire AB38 7AY
+44 1340 831 215
Creation date: 1885
The licence holder of Macallan, James Stuart altered an old mill to make it a distillery in 1884. As soon as 1885, the first distillate came out of the stills of this distillery, situated south of Rothes. This distillery was first called Millhaugh, and has been sold to W&A Gilbey Ltd in 1887. This wine merchant of London owned also Strathmill, and would acquire Knockando seven years later, in 1904.
Gilbey remained independent up to 1962, when the company became International Distillers & Vintners (IDV), after a long collaboration with United Wine Traders, which has been absorbed by Justerini and Brooks ten years earlier.
Watney Mann took the company over in 1972, and Watney Mann fall under control of Grand Metropolitan which would become Diageo after merging with Guinness. The distillers branch of Diageo is United Distillers & Vintners (UDV).
Important alteration works occurred in 1969-70. The number of stills was doubled and the malting floors transformed in warehouses.
Like most of the distilleries in Scotland, Glen Spey closed during the two world wars, due to a lack of barley.
The whole production is used in blends and the only bottlings who are marketed as single malt are coming from independent bottlers or are to be found in the UDV's collection "Fauna & Flora".
Glen Spey enters in the composition of J&B and Spey Roya