JM156591_1300_159.jpg

Mosstowie


Miltonduff Distillery
Miltonduff, Elgin
Morayshire IV30 3TQ
+44 1343 547 433

Propriétaire: Pernod-Ricard

Année de création: 1824


The distillery is situated on the site of the old Pluscarden abbey who owned a brewery and probably a distillery too as soon as in the 13th century. The recent history of the distillery is not very good known, but is seems that Miltonduff has been founded in 1824 by Bain and Peary, and sold to William Stuart, in those days co-owner of the Highland Park distillery.
The end of the 19th century is characterized by a boom followed by a severe recession in the world of whisky, and Miltonduff did not escape to the movement. Important alteration works have been conducted and a new mash-house and still house have been build in 1896.
The consequences of the recession are not well known, and it is difficult to be sure if the distillery had to close down. Anyway it has been purchased in 1936 by Hiram Walker and is currently part of the Allied Distillers Ltd group. The distillery has been acquired together with Glenburgie.
The new owner made some alteration works, and installed two Lomond Stills in 1964 in addition to the existing stills. This Lomond stills have been used up to 1981 and produces the Mosstowie whisky.
A little part of the production is marketed as single malt by the Elgin's independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail. 50% is sold to blenders, and the remaining part is used in the blends of the group: Ballantine's, Teachers and Old Smuggler.




JM176861_1300_158.jpg