Tobermory, Isle of Mull
Argyll PA75 6NR
+44 1668 302 647
Owner: Burn Stewart Distillers
Creation date: 1823
Ledaig is a brand of the distillery Tobermory.
The distillery has been founded in 1823 in the buildings of a former brewery created in 1798 by the same John Sinclair. The Tobermory distillery is the only legal one on the Isle of Mull.
In those days it was called Ledaig.
The distillery was closed between 1837 and 1878.
In 1890 it was sold to John Hopkins & Co who integrated it in the DCL (Distillers Company Ltd.) in 1916.
Closed again for more than 40 years in 1928, Tobermory reopened in 1972 under the name Ledaig. One of the companies who contributed to its reopening was the Xeres producer Domecq.
However the distillery was mothballed again in 1975.
The distillery belongs currently to Burn Stewart. Burn Stewart has been bought by a company based in Trinidad, CL Financial Ltd, who owns Angostura amongst other spirit brands. Other distilleries belonging to Burn Stewart are, Bunnahabhain and Deanston.
In 1990 the distillery resumed its activities under the name Tobermory. The distillery produces 2 different single malts. The first one, non peaty called Tobermory and the other one, called Ledaig which is extremely peaty.
The major part of the production is used in the blends of the group Scottish Leader and Black Prince, and about 50% is sold to other blenders.