Wick Caithness KW1 5BA
+44 1955 602 371
Owner: Inver House Distillers Ltd
Creation year: 1826
With the exception of Orkney Islands, Pulteney is the most northern distillery of Scotland. The distillery is named after an old estate in the Southern part of the city of Wick, Pulteney town.
The distillery stayed in the family of is founder James Henderson until the mid 1920's, when it has been bought by James Wartson & Co., owner of Parkmore and Ord. Three years later, this company became part of John Dewar's & Sons who was incorporated some time later by the D.C.L (Distillers Company Ltd.)
Closed from 1930 until 1951, Pulteney has been bought in 1951 by Robert Cumming, owner of Balblair who was constraint to resell the distillery to Hiram Walker in 1959. The latter renewed the distillery completely.
The current owners, the Inver House company bought both Balblair and Pulteney distilleries in 1995.
It's single malt is known as Old Pulteney, but the major part of the production is intended for the blends of Inver House: Catton's, Hankey Bannister, MacArthur's and Pinwinnie Royal, and for the Heather Cream whisky liqueur.