Deanston, near Doune
Perthshire, FK16 6AG
+44 01786 841422
Owner: Burn Stewart Group
Creation date: 1965
The buildings of the distillery were previously used by a cotton plant since 1785. The cotton plant closed in the early 1960's and the first production of the new distillery started in october 1966.
The characteristics of the building made the plant ideal for a distillery. The warehouses of the factory were build in order to ensure a constant temperature.
Further, the situation on the banks of the river Teith was ideal for whisky production. The distillery was built by the Deanston Distillery Co. company, but has been taken over by Invergordon in 1972. The distillery closed in 1982 before acquisition by Burn Stewart who resumed the production.
Burn Stewart has been bought by a company based in Trinidad, CL Financial Ltd, who owns Angostura amongst other spirit brands. Other distilleries belonging to Burn Stewart are, Tobermory et Bunnahabhain.
About 15% of the production is marketed as single malt, the remaining being used in blends, among others Scottish Leade, Black Prince and in the Wallace liquor.