00524463_1300_158.jpg

An Cnoc (Knockdhu)


Knockdhu Distillery 
Knock by Huntly 
Aberdeenshire AB54 7LH
+44 1466 771 223 
Owner: Inver House Distillers
Creation year: 1877

John Morrison bought the Knock estate in 1892 from the Duke of Fife and discovered later some nice water burns on the Knock hillside. John Morrison was so impressed by the quality of the water that he let examine it by a specialised laboratory. One month later, the negotiations necessary to build a distillery were finished, and Knockdhu was born.
The choice of the site was also partially imposed by the proximity of the railway station on the "Great North of Scotland" line, between Aberdeen and Elgin. This railway does not exist anymore.
The architects Gordon & Macbey from Elgin were in charge of the construction and the foundations were ready in May 1893. The distillery is build with granite from the area, and is still admired by all the visitors, even more than one century after its creation.
The first whisky production happened in 1894.
A new malt grinder has been installed in 1928, in replacement of the old one which was at the origin of a fire who destroyed partially the wall of the still room.
During the great recession from 1931 to 1933, the distillery was closed. World War II also forced the distillery to close due to restriction on the barley distribution in those days.
Lots of distilleries have been used to lodge soldiers during the war. Knockdhu was occupied by an unit of the Indian Army. Stables and a slaughterhouse were build on the site to feed the troops.
The distillery closed down a third time in 1983 before being acquired by the Inver House group who resumed the production on 6 February 1989.
It's single malt has been renamed An Cnoc in 1994 to avoid any confusion with the famous Knockando.
The single malt of the distillery is used in lots of blends, among others in Mac Arthurs's, Catto, Inverhouse, Blairmhor, Glen Talloch, Heater Cream and Hankey Bannister.

 
 


P1130078a_1300_158.jpg